Dr Prem Pillay
- MBBS (Singapore), FRCS (Edinburgh)
FAMS (Neurosurgery), FRCS Canada (Neurosurgery)
Senior Neurosurgeon And Spine Specialists
Neuro Spine And Pain Center Singapore Mt Elizabeth
Advanced Spine Center, Mt Elizabeth Novena
- Director of Spine and Pain Services at Neuro Spine and Pain Center Singapore
- Senior Spine Specialist at the Advanced Spine Center, Mt Elizabeth Novena Medical Center
Training & Subspeciality Training
- Neurosurgery Residency Training (Neuro+Spine), Cleveland Clinic, USA.
- Chief Resident, Neurosurgery (Neuro+Spine), Cleveland Clinic, USA.
- Fellowship in Epilepsy Surgery, Cleveland Clinic, USA.
- Fellowship in Adult and Pediatric Neurosurgical Oncology (Neuro+Spine), MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, USA.
- Fellowship in Paediatric Neurosurgery (Neuro+Spine), Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Canada.
- Singapore Medical Association Bronze Medal, 1980.
- Howard Eddie Gold Medal, Royal Australasian College of Surgeons, 1982.
- Pudenz Award, Congress of Neurological Surgeons, USA, 1988.
- William E Lower Award, First Prize, Cleveland Clinic, USA, 1990.
- Congress of Neurosurgeons Fellowship Award, USA, 1991.
- Mahaley Clinic Research Award by American Association of Neurological Surgeons, Congress of Neurological Surgeons Tumor Section, USA, 1998.
- National Brain Tumor Foundation (USA) Award, 1998.
Membership In Professional Organizations
- Member of the American Association of Neurological Surgeons(AANS): Spine & Pheripheral Nerve Section, and Pain Section
- Member of the Congress of Neurological Surgery (CNS): Spine & Pheripheral Nerve Section, and Pain Section
- Founding Member and 1st Chairman of the Asian Society of Stereotactic, Functional & Computer-assisted Neurosurgery (Neuro+Spine)
- Member Society of Neuro-Oncology
- Fellow of the International College of Surgeons
- Fellow of the American College of Surgeons
- Member of the Minimally Invasive Spine Society
- Member Spine Arthoplasty Society
- Member of the International Society for the Advancement of Spine Surgery
- Chief Resident, Neurosurgery, Cleveland Clinic Foundation Hospital, USA
- Fellow Dept of Neurosurgery MD Anderson Cancer Center, University of Texas, USA
- Fellow Dept of Neurosurgery, Hospital for Sick Children,Toronto, Canada
- Head, Department of Neurosurgery, Singapore General Hospital
- Lecturer in Surgery, National University of Singapore
SYNOPSIS: DR Prem Pillay
Dr Prem Pillay, is a Senior Consultant Singapore Specialist Neurosurgeon(Neuro+Spine) who previously worked for many years at the Cleveland Clinic Hospital in the USA (ranked as one of the top Hospitals in the USA and the world) where he became Chief Resident Neurosurgeon and won the Lower Award and then the Pudenz Award for his research. He was mentored by top neurosurgeons at the Cleveland Clinic including Dr Joseph Hahn, Dr John Little (an expert on difficult spine surgery) , Dr Issam Awad, Dr Russell Hardy (a Lumbar Spine expert who wrote a textbook on the Lumbar Spine) and Dr Ian Kalfas (a world spine expert on Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery and Image Guided Spine surgery). He is now a Senior Spine Specialist at the Neuro Spine and Pain Center at Mt Elizabeth Medical Center and Hospital and at the Advanced Spine Center at Mt Elizabeth Novena Medical Center and Hospital in Singapore.
He is an award winning and pioneering Neurosurgeon in the areas of less invasive Spine treatments/surgery. He is an old boy of ACS where he was a top student and a recipient of the Seow Poh Leng Medal. He is a graduate of the National University of Singapore Medical School(ranked as the best medical school in Asia and top 20 in the world) where he was awarded the Singapore Medical Association medal for being one of the top students in his graduating class. He has served as a Military Doctor during National Service and was a Senior Surgeon at a Combat hospital during his reservist period. He was also the Head of the Department of Neurosurgery and Senior Consultant Neurosurgeon at the Singapore General Hospital and involved in the teaching and training of medical students, young doctors and Neurosurgical trainee doctors. He has introduced many new technologies and techniques in Neurosurgery to Singapore and the Region(SEA and South Asia) including computer aided/Image guided surgery; 3D Microsurgery, Radiosurgery , Neuro Endoscopy and Pain treatments. He was awarded the Mahaley Award for innovative work in Endoscopic surgery. He has served on the Spine comittee of the World Federation of Neurological Surgeons (WFNS). He has presented, published and taught at about 100 International/Local Meetings, Workshops, Journals, Abstracts, Textbooks and public talks. He remains committed to providing the best Spine practises of the best Spine surgeons and Spine Doctors of the world to his patients.
Dr Prem Pillay is an expert in Minimally Invasive Spine surgery and non-surgical methods for a comprehensive range of spine disorders including spine injury, back injury, neck injury, spine fractures, spine stenosis, spine spondylosis, spine spondylolisthesis, spine scoliosis, spine disc injury, spine slipped disc, spine disc herniation, disc protrusion and disc bulges; spinal cord injury, spine nerve root injury, spine cauda equina syndrome and spine tumors. He treats a variety of spine disorders that cause back pain, neck pain, sciatica and limb weakness; using both minimally invasive spine surgery as well as advanced spine injections. He coordinates multidisciplinary advance spine care for his patients with physiotherapists and others as the lead/principle Spine doctor. Furthur information can be found at www.DrPremPillay.org and www.spine-neuro.org